The RPTF is charged by the NRPB with a five-point mission statement:
- To support collaboration between faculty researchers and archivists toward the preservation of radio history
- To develop an online inventory of extant American radio archival collections, focusing on recorded sound holdings, including research aids
- To identify and save endangered collections
- To develop pedagogical guides for utilizing radio and sound archives
- To act as a clearing house to encourage and expand academic study on the cultural history of radio through the location of grants, the creation of research caucuses, and development of metadata on extant materials
Execution of this charge is overseen by a national director and several executive-level committees.
Visit the Organizational Plan for more details on executive operations.